Botanical Shabby Blogs

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Blue and Silver

One of the first books that I bought when I started tatting was Christmas Angels and Other Tatting Patterns by Monica Hahn.  I always loved the Cloverleaf Bell on page 13, but never completed it.  Every time that I looked at it, the song Silver Bells would fill my head and I'd imagine how lovely the bell would look in silver instead of the white pictured in the book.  

My best guess is that I avoided it because it is done in three different parts (four, counting the hanger).  Until a few weeks ago, I dreaded sewing in ends, so anything that required cutting and tying usually got put on the "someday" list.  Nothing really changed, but a few weeks ago, I suddenly had no problem sewing in my ends.  So...

Ta-Da!

Of course, this made me feel all brave because I actually love it.  Right away, I wanted to make the pattern again.  I started, but I didn't load enough thread onto the shuttle so I aborted the mission.  I did not, however, abort the book.  I flipped a few pages and and decided to finally do another pattern that I've always liked but never finished. 



I do not like this one as much.  I knew that I wouldn't like a star in silver, but I always think that blue and silver are the best Christmas colors, so I had to try it.  I'm just proud that I finished, even after realizing that I wouldn't be in love with it.  I'm definitely going to have to try this one in a gold-toned thread.  For some reason, the ball of silver that I have (Lizbeth 20) feels very dry so tatting with it feels ... weird.  It slowed me down a bit because I had trouble getting some of the rings to close, but this still only took a few hours (I didn't time it).  By the way, I am not blaming Lizbeth thread.  I love it and only mentioned the dryness because my other ball of silver feels completely different.  I've never had Lizbeth feel dry like that before.  Like I said, weird. 

Well, hope you've had a wonderful day!

♥,
Stephanie Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment